- 42% of the US population admits to trying cannabis at least one time. This equates to about 100 million people.
- The percentage of Americans favoring cannabis legalization is the highest it has been in 40 years: 41% think it should be legal.
- 75% of Americans favor legalization of medical cannabis use.
- Mexican drug cartels make up to 80% of their profits from cannabis exported to the US.
- The value of the annual cannabis crop exceeds the value of wheat, cotton and corn combined, making cannabis by far the most valuable agricultural commodity in the US.
- 900,000 Americans were arrested in the last year for crimes related to cannabis.
- Nearly one half of all prisoners in America are serving sentences for drug related offenses.
- This amounts to about half a million prisoners at an average cost of $40,000 per year per prisoner.
- Legally regulated cannabis would save $7.7 billion in government expenditures on prohibition: $2.4 billion at the federal level and $5.3 billion at the state and local level.
- Revenue from taxation of cannabis sales could range from an estimated $2.4 billion per year if taxed like ordinary consumer goods, to $6.2 billion if taxed like alcohol or tobacco.
Click here to read more facts.
Facts from Ralph Metzner's Blog